[Home][2023 Index] [TCML] Re: inductors for DC charging [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[TCML] Re: inductors for DC charging

Hey thanks for the response. What if I removed the low end from the core
thereby creating that nasty floating ground, and then grounded it to a
common place with the rest of them system as reference ground; mounting the
actual transformer into a plastic case or on one of those white cutting
boards? The high voltage would have no business trying to arc to the core.
If this seems crazy, and having a floating ground does seem like a terrible
idea if it's not dealt with in another way... But it's been great for
lichtenberg art. The MOT sits in a plastic milk crate and I don't plug it
in until I have both ends of the secondary touching the piece that I want
to burn and attached into cheater pvc pipes. Then step back and plug it in.
It completes the circuit  through the wood.

It seems the same would apply to running them in series and not having any
attraction to the cores to be used as a power source for a TC would work
great. I'll say though that the scary little welder I put together in a
pinch is horribly noisy even after packing paper everywhere inside--there's
not much room for anything in there. I don't use it much except for a
display for those who don't realize all the potential lying around in scrap
that is considered trash by some. It looks really bad! ... Even though I
have two MIG welders I used the MOTs to weld themselves together after
holding the cores together with clamps lol. It draws at least thirty amps
with all four going at direct short... ~Rod got stuck and instantly melted
and popped the breaker at the same time.