[Home][2023 Index] [TCML] Re: inductors for DC charging [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[TCML] Re: inductors for DC charging

On 2/14/23 8:46 PM, Patrick Tufts wrote:

Does anyone think it would be beneficial to weld the cores of the MOTs
together with one primary and three secondaries stacked together in series
with layers of mica between them? I did a similar thing to make a cheap
welder with four MOTs except I retained all four primaries and they are all
stacked in parallel, each with separate switches to be able to add more
juice if needed and otherwise the unused primary is open, and put as many
turns of some quarter inch thick, 3/8" wide ribbon wire on the rest of the
remaining space-i think I got seventeen wraps and that was incredibly
difficult to do around a wooden form, let alone getting it all stuffed into
the transformer itself! But it works great and usually only takes two or
three of the primaries to weld with eighth inch sticks...I still have those
secondary coils and two more microwaves I haven't rendered yet. That would
provide more than enough power though!

This is an interesting idea. Insulation, as always, will be the challenge on the higher voltage windings. It's not the insulation between windings, it's the insulation to the core. The core is at ground, so the top of the top winding will be something like 8kV, which is a lot more than the voltage withstand of the wire, and maybe the bobbin, if there is one.

There's also a core cross section concern - MOTs are pretty "design for cheap" so they don't spend any extra on iron. OTOH, with a single primary, and the leakage inductance, maybe that limits the total flux, so you'll be ok.