[Home][2023 Index] [TCML] Re: inductors for DC charging [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[TCML] Re: inductors for DC charging

I disagree; MMCs are versatile in that you can build them in boards or
other cluster shapes, and then move the series-parallel tap points around
for the desired voltage and capacitance rating. That's pretty useful if you
make more than one coil, or your coil evolves over time. Also, if one of
them blows, you lose a $9 capacitor (the CDEs are expensive now!) versus
$40 or more for a doorknob.

The only advantage I see to a huge string of small rectifier diodes is the
dirt-low cost. You also have to find some way to mount or deal with them -
in the article they're wrapped around PVC or something - and it ends up
feeling like quite the kludge. I'm also suspicious of propagation delay
along a long chain of rectifiers, and instantaneous charge limits being
exceeded. There's a few stories from colliers (eg. Gao, and Greg at
http://hotstreamer.deanostoybox.com/) who reported using strings of small
rectifiers that should have by spec been sufficient and had them go bad.

I'd rather just pay for some appropriately sized rectifiers and use them
forever. I picked up some 15kV, 750mA chassis-mount recitifers from Digikey
before they got discontinued. Looking forward to using those whenever I get
around to doing a real dual-MOT power supply. Not too bad - $12 each, I
think?

--
Joshua Thomas

My new email address is: joshuafthomas@xxxxxxxxx
Please update your information if you have not already done so.