Re: [TCML] Magnifier topics

Let's say that L3 and C3 are to be fixed, because we
want a constant shaped field for breakout, and existing
coil and toroid can be used.

Let's also fix C1.   This gives the system the same voltage
step-up ratio C3/C1 whatever the tuning mode.

It would be nice to also fix L2.  Changing between two L2
coils would upset the system each time and the use of a
tapped L2 introduces a few unknowns.

So if we fix an L2, then with C1, L3 and C3 already fixed,
that determines L1 due to equation 6 in

 http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/tesla/magnifier.html

And then from Eq 7 or 9 we see that now the coupling coefficient
is determined.

So far then: C1,L2,L3,C3 are chosen arbitrarily and fixed.
The choice determines L1 and coupling, which remain constant
for all tuning modes.

There are only two variables remaining: transfer time and C2,
for each combination of k:l:m tuning mode.

Antonio will correct me here perhaps, but it looks like it
boils down to just having a variable C2 to be able to toggle
between two or more different tuning modes, everything else
remains constant.   All we have to do is carefully set L1 and
coupling coefficient, then leave them fixed.

Finn wrote:
> My TEK. TDS2014 only does 5k points, I`m afraid.  ;-)

We can put those 5k to good use with the Pearsons.

Also, some computer audio/video cards could be put to use.
I have a cheap old BT878 video card, the audio side can be clocked
at 896k samples/sec, so waveforms could be captured up to 400kHz
straight into a PC.  For F and Q measurement, amplitude calibration
is not required.

Since voltage step-up is fixed by the C3/C1 ratio, small adjustments
to firing voltage would compensate for different decay rates between
slow and fast modes, it can be set so the two modes have the same
peak voltage.   Alternatively the faster mode can be artificially
damped to match peak voltage with a slower mode.

So far, looks feasible to test breakout from quite different waveshapes
with matched peak voltage, field distribution, and decay rates,
and BPS, etc.
--
Paul Nicholson