From: Finn Hammer <f-h@xxxx>
Sent: Thu, Feb 18, 2010 6:11 am
Subject: Re: [TCML] Magnifier topics

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz skrev:

> I will try to find a reasonable design. Fixing C1, L1, and C3 > determines the other elements completely, once chosen the mode.
> The question is then to chose an adequate mode, that results in > reasonable elements, voltages and currents.
> How was the original secondary coil? It's self-capacitance contributes > to C3. I also need the initial voltage in C1 and the
> maximum current that the spark gap equivalent can conduct safely.
Original coil:
389mH (measured Meterman 37XR)
Diameter: 200mm
Length:     860mm
Toroid 100mm above top turn.

Initial voltage C1= 1000V (1200V IGBT as gap)
Gap has been known to pass 4500Apeak  :-)

> The biggest practical problems I expect to be the construction of C2 > and the insulation in the driver transformer.
The starting point is voltage across C2.

mrn6.exe predicts 125kV   =8-}

10pcs. 4nF doorknobs under oil, or in a stick, with grading rings?

I am concerned about how to measure the coupling, since the coil is a 50mm wide strip.
Let´s assume that coupling can be expected to operate from middle of strip.
In that case, a 250mm dia coil, 250mm long (nice and fat), where the bottom end is alignined with the bottom of the primary coil, produces k = 0.36 according to javatc.
Insulation on L1/L2 yes, perhaps a problem.
If 125kV across length of coil, then 50mm up of it, there is going to be 125/(250/50)=25kV
Radial distance from top of primary coil to secondary =25mm resulting in 1kv/mm: not a problem per se, but perhaps in practical work.Perhaps a field shaping ring will be needed at the top of the primary coil, to suppress corona.