Re: [TCML] Magnifier topics

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz skrev:

I will try to find a reasonable design. Fixing C1, L1, and C3 determines the other elements completely, once chosen the mode. The question is then to chose an adequate mode, that results in reasonable elements, voltages and currents. How was the original secondary coil? It's self-capacitance contributes to C3. I also need the initial voltage in C1 and the
maximum current that the spark gap equivalent can conduct safely.
Original coil:
389mH (measured Meterman 37XR)
Diameter: 200mm
Length:     860mm
Toroid 100mm above top turn.

Initial voltage C1= 1000V (1200V IGBT as gap)
Gap has been known to pass 4500Apeak  :-)

The biggest practical problems I expect to be the construction of C2 and the insulation in the driver transformer.
The starting point is voltage across C2.

mrn6.exe predicts 125kV   =8-}

10pcs. 4nF doorknobs under oil, or in a stick, with grading rings?

I am concerned about how to measure the coupling, since the coil is a 50mm wide strip.
Let´s assume that coupling can be expected to operate from middle of strip.
In that case, a 250mm dia coil, 250mm long (nice and fat), where the bottom end is alignined with the bottom of the primary coil, produces k = 0.36 according to javatc.
Insulation on L1/L2 yes, perhaps a problem.
If 125kV across length of coil, then 50mm up of it, there is going to be 125/(250/50)=25kV Radial distance from top of primary coil to secondary =25mm resulting in 1kv/mm: not a problem per se, but perhaps in practical work.Perhaps a field shaping ring will be needed at the top of the primary coil, to suppress corona.
To give an idea of what can be a design, mode 3:4:5, with 50 pF for C3, and adjusting the first 3 digits of L3 results in:
C1=15510.0000000000 nF
L1=    0.8599613153 µH
C2=  406.3492063492 pF
L2=   32.7600000000 mH