Re: [TCML] Thumper, the worlds most advanced tesla coil.

So I tried messing with the hysteresis network on my comparator, and I added
some extra shielding, but still got poor results, so I went ahead and
whipped up a variation of your predictor.  I think there are two things
desirable in a zero crossing detector:  a large dv/dt at the zero crossing,
and the appropriate amount of phase shift, which should be constant over
amplitude.  So I just made a LR shunt like yours, but used a large burden
resistor (10ohm) to give a large signal, then clamped it with diodes to
limit the signal to a range acceptable by my comparator.  Circuit schematic
attached.  I tried it out a bit and it worked intermittently; I think there
is another problem elsewhere to discover, but it's definitely a step
forward.

Also I'm starting to really dislike high speed comparators.  I'm using the
LT1711, which is 5ns, and it's too sensitive and interferes too much when it
transitions.  I'm thinking your AD790 might be a better compromise.

-Mike