Re: [TCML] Thumper, the worlds most advanced tesla coil.

On Wed, 09 Jun 2010 02:28:25 +0200, Michael Twieg <mdt24@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thanks for the link, it was a really good read.  The mechanical design of
the tuning is incredible.  In a design I'm currently testing, I'm
implementing a phase lead using an all pass filter (can be tuned with a
potentiometer), so we should be able to get the same results as adding a
series inductor with the burden resistor.  However, I've had some issues
getting it working properly.  Our control scheme has two current
transformers on the primary, one of which is burdened with a resistor (for measuring current) and the other is burdened with clamping diodes (only for zero-crossing detection). When detecting the clamped-diode crossings, the
thing works fine, but when I try to have it trigger off of the burden
resistor waveform, it always starts oscillating at a very high frequency,
causing everything to freak out (not fatally, though).

I have never had the oscillations you mention, but I do bias the input to the comparator off zero by about 4-8mV. Not the same as hysteresis... I don't know much about allpass filters, but why not just have a go with the real thing, a simple inductor.?

Cheers, Finn Hammer