Re: [TCML] Morris and Lee

Thanks! Interesting design. In several respects, ahead of its time... :^)

Thanks again and best wishes.

Bert

sheelite@xxxxxxx wrote:
re. MMC Geek thread:

I have scanned the Morris and Lee Tesla Coil plans from 1962 that
shows an mmc tank capacitor.

http://www.ycreek.com/bob/gallery/index.php?album=%2FXMISC%2FTesla_Coil

http://tiny.cc/w4UQw

Note the various display resolutions available, and the 'download'
button will fetch the original highest resolution verions.

Not sure why DrR mentioned snubbers, this is of course the tank
capacitor.  I'm sure Frank would laugh about the long aspect ratio
design if he was around today - he sure wasn't the only one to get
that wrong.  He did get a lot right though, as you will see.  Note
the 'theory' and quiz at the end.  Btw, I finally killed this cap
after after almost 40 years of use.

Regarding low-aspect ratio coils, Cunningham and Haller describe a
very-low aspect coil in their book from 1910 "The Tesla High
Frequency Coil - Its construction and Uses."  The book also describes
making the power transformer, and reprints are/were available.  I
found this book about the same time in the 60s that I discoviered M&L
(the Van De Graff generators sold by Edmunds Scientific in the 60s
were made by Morris and Lee).  One of these days, I'll finally build
one.

Book is online at Amazon:

http://tiny.cc/kO1gC