Re: [TCML] Lacquer

the coating is more for beauty and protection than for insulation, at least historically that has been the case - I used a polyurethane spray - I believe others have used a wide range of substances - make sure that whatever you use doesn't dissolve the insulation on the wire - so I'd avoid lacquer and other coatings based on a strong solvent just to be safe.

From: "Thomas Schmit" <Thomas.Schmit@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, April 07, 2010 12:43 PM
To: "Tesla Coil Mailing List" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [TCML] Lacquer

What do you folks use for the lacquer on the secondary coil? There are special lacquers available at motor winding shops, etc that are rated at something like 2000 volts per mil. They are a little bit pricey and was hoping for an easier solution - i.e. something from Lowes, Home Depot or other "big box" store.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Tom