Re: [TCML] SISG First Light

Hi Mark

I think you made the right decision to not stock the IGBT's. Granted, we all have sources in which we can get the IRGPS60B120KD at a relatively decent price as long as quantity is high, but I think that is too much to expect from coilers that would head down the SISG trail. Thank you very much for creating a very nice 3oz copper board we all can use for this solid state switch. If you happen to put in another order of boards at some point, I only have one suggestion ( increase board length by 1/8" so that the nuts have some space from the heat-sink and mounting nut). I'm using 1/2"L standoffs with 4-40 threads (M-F). That little 4-40 nut barely makes it. Everything else was perfect. Hole sizes is what I mainly look at for pcb's. Everything fit perfectly (so great job).

Take care,
Bart

Mark R Dunn wrote:
Bart/John:

As I am sure you are aware the original IGBT that Terry picked was
.

They are currently available at:
DigiKey
Min qty 25 at $14.08 ea

Allied Elec Min qty 50 at $13.54 ea

Newark has them also, but the price is over $20.

It is my understanding that Allied will discount if a teacher or professor
is ordering them for use in a school project.  One of our fellow coilers
purchased some that way for about $10 recently.

The original orders that I placed were before the ROHS version came into
production.  I want say I placed that first order in May of 2006 and another
over the summer of 2006.  You may recall that ROHS became mandatory in the
EU in July/Aug of 2006.  The prices for the non-ROHS components remained
around $9 to $10 (I think I paid ~$9.50 in bulk at the time) until the
inventory exhausted that fall.  The ROHS version (it has a P at then end of
the part#) was pricey from the start and has never come down to the $10
level.  I always thought it would once the manufacturing was ramped up but
for some reason they have not come down.  I have hesitated to buy and stock
them at $14/ea because I was afraid that no one would buy them from me at
that price and when the price fell, I'd be stuck.

Terry has managed to supply them for $10 even as recently as a couple of
months ago, but I know he indicated that his supply is now exhausted as
well.

Mark