[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Subject: Overheated Secondary

Hi DC,

I know the risks and I'll do it anyway. I've used gasoline forever (you have no idea what me and gasoline have been through). My brother is a fire fighter up at Lake Tahoe. Even he understands as he grew up rebuilding engines as I did. Yes, bad things can happen if you don't know what your doing or have a little knowledge of the volatility of gasoline. The same is true with high voltage. Imagine a newby buying a pole pig and deciding to stand next to the pig ears or associated wiring while powering it up. A little dumb don't you think? Same is true for gasoline or other volatile substances. From a solvent standpoint, gasoline is far superior to kerosene.

For a comparison, using gasoline is like using a pole pig. Kerosene is like using an NST. But, you will still have people using pole pigs (like yourself). What's the difference? Understanding the dangers and taking the required precautions. In high voltage and gasoline, there is always a danger and safety is never guaranteed.

This is really about cleaning NST cores with solvent. Poor a little gas in a coffee can (a mechanics bucket) and use a nylon brush to clean parts. It's simple and effective. Dispose of the gas as soon as your done (don't want a can of gas lying around when you decide to run the coil). Always open the garage for good ventilation. Don't smoke. Don't be near a flame source. Don't use a steal brush on steal parts that could generate a sparks. It's all common sense.

Don't drink alcoholic beverages and then decide to run your coil. See, even more common sense.

I stand pretty firm on the use of gasoline regardless of the scare some people have. A life time of experience with that particular substance is why (and for many years, on a daily basis).

Take care,

resonance@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

My trash pile was outdoors and it the vapor spread 10 ft in a matter of

Hey folks --- just don't do it.  The burns hurt way to much to tolerate.

Kerosine works vey well --- just use it with care also.

D.C. Cox

Hi Dr,

Yes, this is really the best advice as I have witnessed firsthand
how devastating second and/or third degree burns over a signi-
ficant percentage of a person's skin surface area can be. Six
months of very painful recovery and therapy and permanently
disfiguring scars, if you're fortunate enough to survive the ordeal,
are no walk in the park! Once the surface are of serious burns
begins to exceed 50% of the body's skin surface, the mortality
rate really goes up. A pretty high price to pay indeed to save a few
dollars. Like I said before, it's very difficult to predict where the gas
vapor fumes might find an anonymous source of ignition, even
if you call yourself "being careful". Unfortunately, I realize not
everyone is going to heed this advice but I will say that if you
must use gasoline as a solvent, do it in a well ventillated, like
outdoors. Using any more than a few ounces at a time inside a
closed room, as is often the case during the winter months, is
courting disaster!

David Rieben

The bottom line is NEVER EVER USE GASOLINE for any type of solvent work.

The few dollars you save per gallon will in no way equal the pain of the
slowly healing burns.  A burn lasts a long time and it's just simply not
worth the risk.


Dr. Resonance

Tesla mailing list

Dr. Resonance

Tesla mailing list

Tesla mailing list