Re: ignition coil for high voltage source

Tesla List wrote:
 > Original Poster: "Bill Parn" <parn-at-starpower-dot-net>
 >
 > Hi Grayson and Coilers,
 >
 > I really like the simplicity of this design.  I know the dimmer
 > switch is going to give the spikes of voltage necessary to get
 > the ignition coil to operate, however I was wondering do we need
 > a resistor of some sort to get the 120VAC spikes down more
 > in the range of 18Volts or less to prevent from destroying the
 > ignition coil?

Not at all. I've used that same set up with the light dimmer on two ignition
coils for two years. I play around with them and I did even build a small
tesla coil with them. Most people would be suprised at how much abuse and
misuse an ignition coil can take, even the can type. By the way don't go
trying to beat the GMHEICSLR (did I spell that right? :-)) with that setup.
the most I got out of one was about three inches. I don't know about the diode
 though. My little coil didn't use one but then again it wasn't the best
design in the world either.

Jason Johnson