stranded vs. solid wire

Back when I was on this list about five years ago (has it really been that
long?), I seem to recall a thread about solid vs. stranded wire in large
secondaries.  The arguments (both sides) being made, as I recall, were that

A) solid wire has more conductor where it counts- on the periphery of the
wire,

B) yet stranded wire has more actual surface area around the outside.

 My question is, all theory aside, has anyone actually verified a difference
by experimentation, or have solid, documented evidence of one being superior
to the other in actual practice?

 ie; has anyone built two identical secondaries, one with (for example) 12ga
stranded, the other with 12ga solid wire?  If that gauge sounds ridiculously
large for a secondary, keep in mind that I'm currently working on a large
coil which will have over 5,000 feet of wire in the secondary.  Feel free to
post whatever gauge info you have.

 Thanks in advance,
Bill / Gomez / Arkoff

Gomez A.D.D.ams: Owl House webmaster, uber-fetishist, netgoth, anarchist.
Arkoff Kapacitor: sociopath, crypto-anarchist, follower of Nikola Tesla.
Dr. Hevea Brasiliensis: brain-damaged mysogynist and fetish researcher.
Bill Lemieux: fanboy, gothoid, pervert, nerd, amateur writer, human.