[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Nitrogen laser power level and gas mixture

> If anyone is going to use this laser for a spark gap and wants my advice,
> write me off list and I'll try to help with the details.  I probably still
> have my old notes stored away.
>
> Good luck!
>
>         Terry
>         terryf-at-verinet-dot-com

Sage advice above.  I too built this sci-american laser, which required no
complicated
end windows.  It was quite a while ago though and  I did use old near empty
nitrogen
tanks from a local welders shop.  It was extremely dangerous as the UV was
incredibly
intense.  The best shot rate I got was 3 pps with a small capacitor.  A big
capacitor
and upped voltage savaged the gap, but the UV blast would bleach wet cloth!
One shot!

Not a canidate for a gap firing device unless you are shrinking quarters.

Richard Hull, TCBOR