[Home][2021 Index] [TCML] Re: Terry/lowpass filter design, OBIT [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[TCML] Re: Terry/lowpass filter design, OBIT

Hi Gary,

I was using 3kV Panasonic film capacitors; hereâ??s a link for the actual
product:
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Panasonic/ECW-HC3F822J?qs=5PZ87NsE%252BJ%2FduaOvzk%252BWIA%3D%3D

I chose these caps (total 1nF per-rail) because I get an RC filter with
cutoff of ~318khz with the 500ohm resistors. My coil has a resonant
frequency of around this value, so my intuitive thought is that I need to
bypass frequencies at or above the coil resonant frequency. The total is
2nF which *is* a significant fraction of my 10nF MMC. Is some assumption
here in error?

These were used with 3 between each HV rail and RF ground.  The caps caught
on fire after short use. You can see video of that event here:
https://youtube.com/shorts/Sx_lHwjR_bs?feature=share

(I should likely have shut this down sooner).

The main spark gap is working well as you can see from the video and was
set to fire closely under the unloaded NST voltage. The safety gap was set
such that it fired at the NST unloaded voltage, and then incrementally
increased until this no longer occurred. I found that in actual use that
once the safety gap fired, it would continue to arc continuously. I
adjusted out the safety gap just until stopped happening. The fire you see
occurred after that.

I suspect I need more caps - perhaps twice as many to be safe - but Iâ??m
also unsure if the safety gap is working as I need it. Having it not stop
arcing once it fires makes it useless.

Thanks,
Joshua