[Home][2021 Index] [TCML] Re: First coil - need some help [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[TCML] Re: First coil - need some help

Is there a way to post photos of your setup?

A few things -

Do you know that the transformer is good? Draw arcs off each leg to
ground with a ground wire on a sissy stick, then try terminal to
terminal. A yellow glowing arc is what you want.

The capacitor voltage ratings are extrapolated from DC ratings and not
relevant to AC use. They are rated 300-500VAC at 60Hz, it will be far,
far less for RF use.

If I'm understanding the setup, you have 3 gaps in the spark gap between
4 copper pipes, plus fan cooling. This sounds excessive for 12kV and one
neon sign transformer.  Maybe bypass one if not both gaps, or move the
fan further away. As for the resonant frequency, I'd ignore any goofy
simulators and just measure it. Get a frequency generator and
oscilloscope. Connect the frequency generator to just the entire
primary coil and measure voltage on the secondary and sweep for maximum
rise. The resonant frequency will be somewhere near there. You'll then
have tune the primary to this. The dimensions indicate the secondary is
real heavy on capacitance. You may need to test with a smaller terminal
on the top. I don't hear much talk of this, but you can tune a tesla
coil by listening to the spark gap. A buzzing sound is what's ideal, not
a source of loud noise. It's similar to MIG welding. A smooth sound is
what you're after, not harsh noise.