[Home][2021 Index] [TCML] Re: First coil - need some help [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[TCML] Re: First coil - need some help

Hello,

I'm not sure who the author of this email is, but thanks for your reply. I
put pictures up here: https://imgur.com/a/5ByTOHl
The only picture I had of the MMC seems to have been during testing with
the safety gap. That worked well (and quite loud!). Please ignore the
"tilted" look of the topload; this is due to camera angle. The topload is
symmetric.

>  Do you know that the transformer is good?

Yes. I can draw arcs from each terminal to (case) ground, and from terminal
to terminal. The Jacob's ladder from each terminal works fine. I do not
think the transformer is the issue.

> The capacitor voltage ratings are extrapolated from DC ratings

I'm not clear on what you're trying to say here. The CDE 942C20P15K-F caps
are rated for 2kVDC. The AC rating is 300-500 VAC. Given the extremely
rapid voltage changes (dv/dt), the DC rating appears to be the more valid
one; and indeed that method is used by other well-known coilers, eg. see
http://www.hvtesla.com/mmc.html. Lists of "known" good caps (eg.
http://www.tb3.com/tesla/capacitors/good_bad.txt) put the CDEs on the to,
and again use the DC rating. Terry Fritz uses this method; see:
https://hotstreamer.deanostoybox.com/TeslaCoils/MMCInfo/mmcinfo.html, "We
have found that the DC voltage rating can be used as the peak AC voltage
rating.".

In my particular case, 12kV AC is equivalent to 16.8 volts peak to peak,
which should be safely inside my 30kV total rating for the capacitor bank.
I do not think this is the cause of my troubles but would be interested if
others have similar concerns.

> If I'm understanding the setup, you have 3 gaps in the spark gap between
4 copper pipes, plus fan cooling. This sounds excessive for 12kV and one
neon sign transformer.

That's correct; see picture in album. The first image is the gap under
construction. I based this ducted, circular design on one that I found
during research. The fitting for the AC fan exactly matched the 6" PVC
fitting which greatly simplified the building. Is there a reason this might
be excessive? Multiple gaps should spread the heating effect over several
pipes, and the fan should increase quench. The gaps are calibrated with a
variac to fire near peak voltage, and they do fire well.

Thanks,
Joshua Thomas