[Home][2021 Index] [TCML] Re: First coil - need some help [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[TCML] Re: First coil - need some help

Hello Dick,

Thank you for your kind reply.

My 12/30 Transco came with a ground-fault unit which I removed. My first
use of the Transco was as a Jacob's ladder and it worked excellently,
running indefinitely. This was from both high-voltage terminals. I can not
tell if it has an internal shunting resistor, as the entire rest of the
unit is potted.

 A check of the 10M ohm, 1/2W bleeder resistors shows them all giving
correct resistance values. Could you elaborate on the negative effect they
have on Q? It would be a shame if I had to remove them as they provide a
useful safety feature, and they've appeared in all the other designs I've
run across.

I calibrated my main gap in the same manner as my safety gap, using a
variac. The current set gap distance seems to be just at the limit, as
increasing the distance or decreasing the voltage causes failure of sparks.
The safety gap occasionally (once every 3-4 seconds) fires. This suggests
to me I have the safety gap fairly close to the main gap in terms of
breakdown voltage.

Thanks again,

Joshua Thomas