[Home][2019 Index] Re: [TCML] Single turn primaries - was Coupling [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Single turn primaries - was Coupling

Hi David,

I do indeed remember the work of Terry Fritz.  His motivation to develop
the OLTC was not that this was a way to employ a single-turn primary, but
rather that it eliminates the need for boat anchor steel transformers.

All of the single-turn primary coils cited - Terry Fritz, Alan Sharp, and
Finn Hammer, all use IGBT's rather than spark gaps.  The reasons that
1-turn primaries were used did not include less inter-turn capacitance.
Your initial suggestion to use a single turn primary in the Coupling thread
was in the context of spark gap coils, where I pointed out that gap losses
are higher with the higher primary currents that would follow with low
inductance primaries. So I'll ask one last time - have YOU built a 1-turn
primary spark gap coil?  You have cited so many colorful reasons that would
make a single turn primary superior, it's hard to imagine why anyone would
do otherwise?

Gary Lau
MA, USA