From: David Thomson <aetherwizard@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sun, Feb 17, 2019 5:09 pm
Subject: Re: [TCML] Coupling

Matt, when building a Tesla coil, yes, you can make sparks with multiple turn primaries. Tesla's research, however, showed that the best resonators had just a single turn primary of a conductor, and that the conductor diameter of the secondary should be smaller than the conductor diameter of the primary.
Doug's bipolar coil has two adjustable secondaries, making his setup ideal for a single turn primary. All he needs to do to get maximum coupling is to build a single turn primary and then experiment with the position of the secondaries until he get's maximum resonance.
As Tesla reasoned, high voltage oscillators are Helmholtz resonators. Therefore the same physics that make a flute resonate are the same physics that make a Tesla coil resonate. The flutist will not become a better flutist by having extra pairs of lips, and neither does a Tesla coil become a better resonator by having extra primary turns. To make the Tesla coil work optimally, the primary should always be one turn of a heavy conductor, and the secondary should be built accordingly. If you want to tune the primary, use adjustable capacitance and adjustable input power. If you want to tune the secondary, adjust the primary/secondary coupling, the distance of the topload from the secondary, and the surface area of the topload. If there is coupling between the topload and ground, you could also adjust the resistance of the ground connection.
David Thomson