Re: [TCML] Variac ballancing chokes re-visited

I came across this web page after using goggle.

http://bellsouthpwp.net/b/u/bunnykiller/parallel.html

It refers to my "A)" scenario as I suspected was presented by "bunnykiller". "Connection 3" (on the right side of the page) seems like the best method because each 'choke' has a dedicated winding in correspondence to each variac. Therefore a 30A variac passes thru a #8 wire winding (well within the current capacity of the wire). Can someone clarify the winding direction in relation to the H1,H2 winding and H3,H4 winding. I see it as if it were one center tapped winding H2 and H3 would be tied together and be the center tap, is this correct?The other scenario I presented used 2 chokes to feed a 3rd choke, which would see 90A max thru #8 wire. Probably a bit too much stress. On a side note I'll look into 'IMGUR.com' Nicholas, thanks. Yes it's good to be coiling in Wisconsin and hear from a member I've met. Thanks to everyone who responded. ----- Original Message ----- From: "MICHAEL HARDY" <mhardy4@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, May 06, 2012 9:59 PM
Subject: [TCML] Variac ballancing chokes re-visited

In my power control cabinet I have a 3 stack variac consisting of 3 X 520 V, 30 A units. I was using one homemade balancing choke made from a 10 A, 240 V variac core wound with 2 sets of 9 turns of #8 wire for balancing 2 of the 3 stack variacs. I now wish to use all 3 in the stack. I have made 2 more similar balancing chokes from burned out 10 A, 240 V cores. I have seen 2 schemes for wiring these. Here's a shot at an asci drawing of each.

A)      ________________________
       I         __              ___          I
       I        I    I            I      I         I
       UUUU        UUUU        UUUU
-------- -------- --------- The V1,V2, V3 are the variac wipers (outputs) _ -------- _ -------- _ ---------` I think this was done by Matt D. (bunnykiller)
V1  UUUU  V2  UUUU   V3 UUUU
               I_________I_________I
                            OUTPUT

B)

                                       V2
               --------------------    I        -------------------
V1_____ -------------------- __ I____ -------------------  _______  V3
               UUUU  UUUU            UUUU  UUUU
                         I                               I
                         I                               I
                         UUUU________UUUU
                                   OUTPUT

Are both methods equally effective or is one preferred over the other?

I would appreciate any comments,

Thanks