Re: [TCML] Largest Secondary Coil "Drivable" by Primary Circuit

Matt,
Hmm, after plugging and chugging some values into Tesla Map and Java TC it seems using a capacitance of the top load = to the secondary (aka half the capacitance in the top load) gives a very tiny top load over several "normal" geometries, looking much like what was common years ago (doorknobs...) I'm wondering if that rule of thumb is antiquated or if it should be double the capacitance in the top load, which is still not even enough to reach the "quarter wave value" on the demo coils I plugged in (Ctop=Csec*2.1 for "1/4 wave" according to the coils I plugged in, however it should be noted I suspect this may be coincidence and the formula is more complicated.) I'm thinking this rule should be investigated now that we know bigger is better and 1/4 wave is nothing! My best coil has 5 times the top C than the secondary C (3* in the larger toroid, so it seems Johns new top capacitance formula still works when you assume 1 pF for 1 inch when using multiple top loads, as my topC is just under sqrt input power) maybe there is a secret optimum value for spark length, or maybe top C is only important for power. Perhaps that old rule of thumb is for peak voltage and not spark length which are different animals, I don't know, just my two cents...

Scott Bogard.