Re: [TCML] Largest Secondary Coil "Drivable" by Primary Circuit

Brandon,

It's not really so much an issue of driving power.  You can drive a somewhat larger
coil with the same amount of power but it won't give longer sparks.  Usually
coils are build that are "large enough" for a given power input.  Not much
is gained by going larger.  If you plan to add even more power (more than
15/60), then it can be wise to build a larger coil.  For a 15/60 NST, a coil
around the size of Gary Lau's coil makes sense.  Gary uses a 15/60 NST.
This way the toroid size
is a good match to the overall coil size, etc.  The toroid size *does* matter,
and has to be somewhat matched to the input power.  A huge secondary
run with low input power would need to have a relatively small toroid.
A bigger toroid might work with a breakout point, but generally speaking
things work best if generally matched up by rules of thumb, etc.  A coil
the size of Gary's can run on a 15/30 also, but might work better with a
smaller toroid in that case.

For a 15/30 NST, a 4" x 13" toroid works well, and for a 15/60 NST, a
5" x 16" toroid works well.  These sizes allow for multiple streamers.
As larger toroids are used, at some point only a single streamer will
be formed.  This streamer may be longer however.  I think Gary is using
a 7" x 26" toroid... something like that.  I think his specs are at his website.
I'm sure Gary will comment.  I think Gary's secondary is about 6" x 26"??

I don't know what size secondary you have now Brandon.

John