Re: [TCML] Re: current limit system and X-rays

> It probably will not work as the tube requires HVDC to operate.
    Welllll.   I am not an expert on this, but distinctly
    recall that some X Ray tubes, anyway, are (were?) used in
    'self rectifying' mode:
      The XRays would only be generated half the time,
      pulsed at the supply frequency.

> AC might work, but generally the potential has to be maintained for
> about 1 ms for X ray generation (frequency of 1 kHz or less),
     Just fine with 50/60Hz supply.  Less so for 'Teslaish' freqs.
     (Tho I've never heard of a 1 mS limit: may be my ignorance.)

> and TCs operate at a frequency of tens or hundreds of kHz. Current
> is also an issue, requiring tens to hundreds of mA for decent X ray
> production.
> You might get a small amount of X rays, but the yield probably will
> not be significant.
     I don't think the purpose was stated...
     A full on Tesla Coil is rather more voltage than may be needed,
     depending on intended XRay use.

(Pointless gossip:
     used to be (still is?) Some ue of vdG generators to run
     XRay tubes.  Happens i worked, briefly, on airport XRay
     systems:  all the HV stuff was 'prepackaged', we did not
     get past running some voltage cals...)

New dwp:     dave_p@xxxxxxxxxxx