Re: [TCML] Grounding Coil to Water Pipe

> almost nowhere is that within code these days.  water pipes are required to be grounded, but cannot serve as the grounding electrode.  Too much plastic pipe.

I believe you, for the reason you say.  Indeed.
The service entrance ground, to my home, is connected both to the water line coming from the street, and one 8' ground rod pounded into the ground (by someone else) to within the last 2-3".
It was like that when I got here, and I upgraded to a 200A service entrance.  Both PG&E and the local inspector signed off.

> An 8 foot ground rod will generally not comply with code, unless the entire rod is buried.  The code  (where code == NFPA 70/National Electrical Code) requires 8 feet of rod below the surface, and furthermore, the latest versions of the codes (last 10 years at least), do not allow a rod to serve as the sole grounding means.

My 8' ground rod is pounded in to within the last 3".  It serves solely as the RF ground for my Tesla coil.  It is pounded into the ground some 100 feet from where the house ground rod is pounded in.  It works great for the coil.

> Using the water pipe as a grounding electrode hasn't been usable as the sole grounding means for quite a while.

I believe you.  Perhaps my water pipes are grounded because they want the water pipes grounded, and not because it's serving as a ground?  Or perhaps because my home was built in the 40's they're grandfathering it in?  Though you would have thought the inspector would have said something when I did the service entrance upgrade.

> Yep.. Shouldn't be using the electrical safety (green wire) ground as a Tesla coil RF ground.  the two should be connected (bonded in code-speak), but you shouldn't be expecting any current to flow in the safety ground wiring.

And how.  This was just evil to my household appliances.  I'm not sure how some people get away with it with no damage.  Perhaps their coils are well tuned.

> The code (and good practice, besides) requires that all grounds be bonded together.

My house grounds are indeed bonded together with what looks like 4ga solid copper.  But again, the water pipes may be grounded to ground them, and not to serve as a ground....or who knows what they were thinking in California in 1949.

Cheers,
Joe