Re: [TCML] NST Measurements

Hi Jeremy,

How you perform a measurement depends largely on the equipment you have
on hand and what it is you want to identify. So my first question is
what meters do you have hand to make measurements? Obviously, a HVac
probe would be ideal, but not absolutely necessary to simply identify
rough specs. If you have say only a digital rms meter handy, hook up
120Vac to the output side and measure voltage on the primary. This will
do fine for identifying your turns ratio (Vout/Vin). Then you can just
figure wall plug AC volts x turns ratio for the output. Current more
complicated.

If you want to look at "more" and get to know the transformer for what
it really is, two meters are helpful. One to read current and the other
to read voltage along with a HV probe. I'm not a big fan of reverse
wiring the transformer to gain transformer characteristics other than
the basic turns ratio. When normal current is flowing, it will be
different from the reverse wired situation because the secondary voltage
applied is never the output volts (but some far lower voltage). If you
could, a hv probe would be needed. But at that point, you may as well
feed low voltage high current to the primary for ease of measurements.

So again, what equipment do you have on hand?

Bart