Re: [TCML] NST Measurements

Yes, better said Ed.

Sorry to hear about the scale biting the dust on a nice Simpson. Was this unloaded just playing around with the transformer with a cap across the output? Probably the safe way to do that would be to load resistively and scale. The simulations I was messing with showed some amazingly high voltages at resonance if there's no other load. The transformer would never survive (assuming nothing else died first).

Bart

Ed Phillips wrote:
A quibble perhaps but it would be more correct to say that the inductance is changing because the permeability increases with the flux density at low input voltage levels which are far from saturation. At the "correct voltage" the leakage reactance resonates with the external capacitance and THEN the core goes into saturation [if the insulation can take the voltage]. I have a 15 kV, 60 mA NST here which, with an 0.006 ufd HV mica capacitor across the secondary, exhibits that effect at around 30 volts on the primary. Blew up the HV scale on my Simpson meter in finding it out many years ago. With the meter on the 5000 volt scale I was increasing the variac and boom....... Last time I operated a loaded NST without a safety gap. Transformer and capacitor survived OK but blew out the multiplier resistor on the meter.

Ed