From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of FIFTYGUY@xxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2008 9:59 PM
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [TCML] Soldering SISG heat sinks

In a message dated 10/30/08 8:54:22 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
bob.johnson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

>am having an awful time trying to solder the heat  sinks to the
board....
Is there a trick
>to this besides getting  some huge wattage soldering iron?

    I'm sure you had read the TCML before embarking on  this project,
but as
a reminder here's my post from February::

_www.pupman.com/listarchives/2008/Feb/msg00042.html_
(http://www.pupman.com/listarchives/2008/Feb/msg00042.html)

***************************
 Here's my SISG tips:

1. "Maxclips" for mounting the IGBTs work  fine. I mounted the heatsinks
the board, then put compound on the  IGBTs and heatsinks, then dropped
the
IGBTs
into place on the board, then  screwed on the clip, then went back and
soldered  the IGBTs in. I  figured this way, everything was in a happy
clamped
position  before it  got soldered solid.

[snip]

4. I put everything  together with a 140W soldering gun. I never
understood
the "use a  low-wattage iron with heat-sensitive components" theory. I
have
more
luck  blasting it quickly, before the heat has time to spread up the
lead...

***************************

-Phil LaBudde

Center for the Advanced Study of Ballistic  Improbabilities
**************Plan your next getaway with AOL Travel.  Check out Today's
Hot
5 Travel Deals!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1212416248x1200771803/aol?redir
=http://travel.aol.com/discount-travel?ncid=emlcntustrav00000001)

* Confidentiality Notice:
This e-mail and any associated files are intended solely for the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. Please do not copy it or use it for any purposes, or disclose its contents to any other person. Further, this e-mail and any associated files may be confidential and further may be legally privileged. This email is from the Invensys Process Systems business unit of Invensys plc which is a company registered in England and Wales with its registered office at Portland House, Bressenden Place, London, SW1E 5BF (Registered number 166023).  For a list of European legal entities within the Invensys Process Systems business group, please click here http://www.invensys.com/legal/default.asp?top_nav_id=77&nav_id=80&prev_id=77.

If you have received this e-mail in error, you are on notice of its status. Please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this message from your system. Thank you for your co-operation. You may contact our Helpdesk on +44 (0)20 7821 3859 / 2105 or email inet.hqhelpdesk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx This e-mail and any attachments thereto may be subject to the terms of any agreements between Invensys (and/or its subsidiaries and affiliates) and the recipient (and/or its subsidiaries and affiliates).