From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx on behalf of bunnykiller
Sent: Thu 10/23/2008 3:00 PM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: [TCML] Rotory STATIC Gap

Hey All....

I was looking at my spark gap ( SRSG) and noticed that the timing must
have been off or the primary circuit voltage had jumped up quite a bit
and started arcing before the electrodes were in position.  The gap is
designed with 4 flying electrodes and 2 static, since I couldnt place
the statics on each sides of the disc, I had to put them on one side of
the disc ( away from the motor). To achieve conduction, I had to place a
copper ring around the periphery of the disc to conduct from one
electrode to the next. (This was done to keep the stationary electrodes
from arcing to the motor.)

This configuration allowed the primary circuit to charge to voltages (
well as far as the distance from the stationary gap distance was from
the copper ring ( 2.2" total gap width)) which would then jump the 2.2"
length to conduct.  As the electrodes would proceed into the stationary
region, it would ( im supposing now) lower the gap voltage for
conduction and eventually quench.

So in effect, the gap was firing in "static" mode and then finished off
in rotory mode.  Guess I need to get rid of the copper ring to have a
true SRSG.... ;)

At lower input voltages to the piggie, the gap works fine ( as its
supposed to) but once past 75-80% on the variac, the "static" mode appears.

Need to design a better SRSG that can fend off 40KV+ and not attack my
motor....

Scot D