[TCML] BIGPIG secondary dies...but may be resurected

Hey All...

Back again... anyway I went out back into the shop and tried to remove some of the damaged coating around the burn site. Luckily the tube wasnt damaged, but there was about a 3" strip going upwards of the original arc point that got scorched ( coating only). Since the coating had hardened, removing it was all a matter of tapping the coating with a rubber mallet and then using an air gun at 120 psi to remove rather large chunks of coating from the wire. On average I would say the pieces were about half the size of a playing card and in some cases the pieces were 2X the size of a card. Ended up removing 90% of the coating in about an hour. ( secondary is 12.5" dia X 55" wound length. In general, the wire looks to be in great condition ( except for about 5 turns where the insulation was damaged). Guess I'll just do a splice job there.

Maybe someone out here knows the answers to my next questions.... What would be the effect of winding a coil with say 18 ga for 3/4 length of tube and then finishing it off with 22 or 24 ga on the last 1/4 length?? Since the current is less towards the top of the coil, the thinner wire "should" be able to handle it. And how would I calculate L for the secondary if this is to be wound in this manner? ( calc each as individual L's and then add inductance for a total??)

Scot D