From: bartb [mailto:bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 02 October 2008 02:02
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] Insulating the primary coil

Place a Plexiglas disc on top of the primary and don't use a ring. I've
however only done that on one coil. But even with a Plexiglas disc on
top of the primary and overhanging the outer rim, strikes can still find
their way to it or the wire attaching to the primary (right through any
wire insulation). I don't get any strikes through the Plexiglas. If you
have a coil that has enough power to get down to the primary but not
quite enough to get to the floor, it's real easy to hit the primary often.

BTW Steve, cutting a circle out of Plexiglas is easy. I use an aluminum
flat bar (about 1/4" thick by 1"wide and maybe 14" long). I drilled a
hole in one end for a shoulder bolt. This end mounts in a hole in the
center of the Plexiglas which the bar pivots at. Along the opposite end
of the bar I drill a 1/4" hole at the radius of the circle I want, then
pounded in a scribe. The scribe is actually a punch for removing bolts
when the head was broken off (forgot the name of this, but it has 4
sides which end in a point). I put this "scribe" to a bench grinder and
sharpened the end to a very sharp point. Anyway, I then simply scribe a
channel into the Plexiglas at the radius desired (both sides of the
Plexiglas). It then is easy to snap off the excess around the circle. I
know they probably have tools for this, but it's easy enough to make
your own. Works great. The largest circle I've cut is about 24" and the
smallest is about 5". Obviously for a primary disc, cut the outer circle
then an inner circle about 1/2" larger diameter than the secondary
diameter so you can slide it down the secondary and let it rest on the
primary.

Take care,
Bart