RE: [TCML] RF Ground and Brass

Hi Phil,

As I should have stated, I have not personally run my coil without a secondary base connection, and it's not something that would be a good idea to try!  There is a danger in blindly repeating things heard, though I thought I've heard it from multiple sources.  I agree that you would effectively have a bipolar coil.  Perhaps the results may depend upon how close the primary coil is to the secondary base, determining whether or not there would be arcing there.  It does seem a little hard to swallow that disconnecting the base would show NO difference in performance and no extraneous arcing.

There is a capacitive path between the secondary base and the primary.  If there is a poor direct path from the secondary base to RF ground, the capacitive path to the primary, NST, and ultimately to the mains will be used.  The quality of one's RF ground is a continuum; if one has a "perfect" ground connection to the secondary base, then there would be no current in the capacitive path.  If one has a "pretty good" RF ground, the secondary base voltage will still be non-zero and there will be some capacitive coupling to the primary, NST, and mains.  The worse the quality of the RF ground, the more coupling will occur to the primary and out to the mains.

Unfortunately, no one has devised a means of quantifying how much RF gets coupled into the mains, so everyone (myself included) simply reports "I use X ground rods and Y cable and it works just fine".

You have inspired me to do some experiments.  With my 4/20 NST-powered mini coil, I'll try various secondary base connections, ranging from no connection (if it doesn't arc), to a long and lazy piece of #42AWG lying insulated above the basement floor, to a copper ribbon tied to the water main in my basement.  I'll report maximum spark length; unfortunately I have no means to gauge mains hash.  This will be interesting - I don't recall ever hearing of such an experiment!!

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA