Re: [TCML] RF Ground and Brass

In a message dated 3/5/08 10:08:05 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
Gary.Lau@xxxxxx writes:

>Your point about the wire not getting warm if it represents a high  RF
impedance is well taken, but I
>don't agree that gauging ground conductor suitability by spark  performance
is valid.  Many coilers
>have noted that performance is unaffected even when they  accidentally
forget to connect the
>secondary base to anything.

    I'd have to strongly disagree with that  statement, based on recent
experience!
    I had incredibly hot primary-to-secondary arcing  at the base of my 6"
SISG coil until I connected the secondary base to earth  (via a length of 10ga
stranded THHN). At first I thought it was the primary  arcing to the secondary,
until I realized it was the floating secondary arcing  to the primary!
    Without grounding the base of the secondary  somehow, you've got a
bipolar coil!

>The consequence of having a good or bad RF ground connection is not
variable performance.  It only >affects how much RF gets  coupled into your power
mains.

    I don't see where grounding the secondary or  not affects the power mains
in any way. The issue is whether the return  current for the secondary has a
sufficiently low impedance path to follow  that the secondary current will
*tend* to not travel on  the power mains.
    No matter how wonderful your RF ground is, if  you get a secondary strike
directly to your house wiring you're gonna  have a problem.
    The rest of the noise is coming back from  the primary or the power
supply wiring. Secondary grounding doesn't matter for  this, but the quality of the
RF ground that the Terry Filter, shielding, EMI  filter, NST/PIG/whatever is
attached to would have an  effect.
    None of this considers radiated RF from the  secondary, primary, spark
gap or power supply. Neither does it consider  the induced voltages from the
strong E and M fields near the  prim/secondary.

> In the absence of a good RF ground connection, the only other  path to
ground is through the power
>lines.

All that secondary capacitance has an  effective return path of "everything
in the near vicinity". Grounding  your secondary doesn't affect it's
capacitance change due to the proximity of  walls, ceiling, and the floor!

>That's what makes the topic of "proper RF grounding" so difficult to
resolve.  There is no known
>means of gauging success or  quality.

Your statement implies that grounding the secondary  has *no* perceivable
effect. Otherwise, it would be measurable. If you can cause  a detectable change
in quality, then improve it until you hit whatever point of  "too expensive"
or "too much effort" suits you. FWIW, I think that for practical  purposes, we
hit that point of diminishing return very quickly and easily.

    You have to admit, running a piece of 18-10ga wire  to a desired RF
ground is such a cheap and easy thing to do that  there's really no good reason not
to.

-Phil LaBudde
Center for the Advanced Study of Ballistic  Improbabilities