Re: [TCML] RF Ground and Brass

Hi Phil,

(how do I get involved in these things? must be my big mouth)
But on the other hand, if the grounding wire has too high an RF impedance, it won't be carrying much current in the first place and therefore won't even have a chance to get warm. By the same thinking, a piece of nylon fishing line makes a fine ground wire.
The base carries several amps of current and a low voltage drop. Should the wire be sized for the load? Yes. Should you use nylon line? No.
The easy test is probably just empirical. Just keep increasing the expense of the ground connection until you get a diminishing return on performance. In my experience, 10 feet of 10ga stranded copper works fine.
10 awg would likely do fine even over a decent length.

Take care,
Bart