Re: [TCML] nst

Hi Bill,

I'm the person who told Doug drilling is not a good idea. I had two main reasons in my head when he approached me with this.

1) Will he drill in the right spot? Who knows how exact the core is placed. Easy to accidentally drill through a coil due to being a little off center.

2) By drilling, the shunts are shorted across for those shunts that have been drilled through, and likely, a little sideways due to core and case alignment as well as "blind" drilling.

Doug is thinking! How to increase the current on NST's without depotting. This is an excellent idea! But because of the placement of shunts in the core, trying to drill through the shunt to remove shunt material would be a very difficult task. Let's assume he drilled, hit the center of the shunt stack, and took out a 1/4" hole in the center of a 3/8" wide shunt stack. He may be fine there. He would have removed some material but he would not have been able to short all the laminations unless he went in sideways (very probable). It actually might work ok in some cases and certainly worthy of a try I think. I don't think it's possible to attain the performance as one can with shunt reduction during depotting, but it does give a risky alternative.

So Doug, if you have NST's growing out of your ears, then I say go for it and let us know what you learn from the experience. I don't know of anyone who has thought of or tried this. Your in "virgin territory" and that's a nice place to be with Tesla Coils and their components.

Take care,
Bart

William Noble wrote:
a siingle weld on the laminations is OK, but the use of laminations is only partly for ease of manufacture - it is more to get the magnetic properties of the core right and to manage circulating currents - if you just short out the laminations so there is a continuous path for current, you will in effect create a single turn secondary and it will rob efficiencly and cause heat - both of which you dn't want.> From: Gary.Lau@xxxxxx> To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 19:06:15 +0000> Subject: RE: [TCML] nst> CC: > > I'm not sure that a short between laminations would be a problem. I've seen cores built where a welded bead held all of the laminations together. I would be more concerned that milling or drilling might just munge up the nice flat laminations into a mess.> > You lost me on the PVC part.> > Gary Lau> MA, USA> _______________________________________________
Tesla mailing list
Tesla@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx