[TCML] nst

And now for something completely different :)

i have run into some nst's that after depotting they seem to be fixed.
there are no shunts. it comes apart in two pieces.
1 the coils are mounted on a laminated bar so to speak.
2 the rest is one larger piece.
I've been informed that i cant simply use my mill and carefully drill out material
where the shunts should be. i had always thought that the lamination's were simply
a part of the fabrication process.
having worked with sheet metal its easier to make a big piece out of multiple smaller pieces than to have to machine solid pieces. That was my thinking anyway.
i didn't realize that drilling through them would essentially short out the laminates,
but i guess it does make sense.
anyway since they are not adjustable, they are quite small compared to other 15/30's
that i have taken apart. in my opinion about the same size as a 12/30.
only roughly  8" x 3 3/4" x 3" as compared to 7 1/2" x 4 3/4" x 3 3/4".

could i take 4" PVC put core inside with it capped on the ends, and fill with oil?
i could take 3 or more and kinda stack them like a pyramid .
would PVC wall thickness and the oil be enough insulation to keep from interfering with each other at such a close proximity to each other?
it would be compact, easy to carry around, and easy to paralell.
and 90ma seems to be good enough.   (right)?
           Thanks
                    Doug