[TCML] Strike Rail Hits Was: Stacking vs Large Diameter

Hi David,

I'm in the process of building a ribbon primary. The ribbon is 1" x .035" x 50ft. I'm building this for the SISG coil (since I'm waiting on more diodes as I decided on full bridge capable of 60kV rectification). The inner diameter to outer diameter thickness will only be 3.5 inches. I plan to use fiberglass runners and Plexiglas ring over the top of the ribbon to further prevent those unwanted hits. This will make for a very compact primary. My reasoning here is that I simply don't want primary hits with an SISG coil, so I'm doing this to further eliminate the possibility.

Something like this might be really good (and cool) for the Green Monster 8-) . Remember Bill Wysocks Griffith Park Observatory coil? Or the Mini-GTO? http://www.ttr.com/Fry-coil.htm. 5th picture down shows a closeup of the primary. I think this is the same ribbon I have.

I've gone through some pics of ribbon primary construction, and of all I've seen, a simple standoff like what Bill used seems to be the best solution in my book. I tried the insertion between turns using various things like 1" foam, rubber, etc., but I've come to a conclusion that simple standoffs like Bill used is better for cosmetics, reuse, etc. It takes a little more work to cut the standoffs, but to me it's worth it.

Anyway, just thinking that the Green Monster might benefit from such a primary?

Take care,
Bart

David Rieben wrote:
Hi Phillip,

Well, you've seen firsthand what can be done with single large
diametered toroids in both the big coils of Cameron Prince and
myself ;^) There are a lot of variables to consider that would
make it nearly impossilbe to give you a definitive "yes or no"
answer to your question. The main advantage that many taught
with the double stack toroid design is the better E field protec-
tion for the reduction of primary/strike rail hits. I might could
personally reduce some of the strike rail hits from my Green
Monster coil by installing a smaller "bottom toroid" underneath
the large main unit, although it starts to become nearly impossible
to completely eliminate primary/strike rail hits at these power
levels with the physical size limitations that I am dealing with.

--
David Rieben