Re: MOT with other transformer

Hi Chris,

The issue with the second stepup transformer is its design for a primary voltage of whatever the MOT puts out. The volts per turn needs to be compatible with the core cross sectional area to not saturate. If the MOT puts out say 2KV and you need to stay at no more than 1V per turn, lets say, to keep from saturating the stepup xformer, then you will need 2000 turns on the primary (with proper insulation of course). If you do a 5x step up, you will need 10000 turns on the secondary. It will be much easier to either stack the MOTs or go to NST's or a PIG.

Gerry R

Original poster: "Breneman, Chris" <brenemanc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello,

While considering various designs for a MOT power supply, I thought that it might be possible to connect the hv winding of a single MOT (or even multiple paralleled MOTs) to the primary of another step-up transformer with a ratio of approximately 1:5 or 1:10 . This would raise the voltage and decrease current while maintaining the same power levels. Is this practical? If so, are any suitable transformers readily available, or would I have to wind my own?

Thanks,
Chris