Re: [TCML] Coupling of oil insulated coils

I remember that Lou Balint built magnifier drivers submerged in oil,  but
he used ferrite rings at the center to increase the flux and  the
coupling.  Seems the oil did help to improve the insulation, but some  arcs
occurred anyway at
times I think.  I don't remember if he actually measured the coupling  and
determined if it was higher than an air-insulated magnifier.  I also  don't
know
what the overall effective coupling of the system was.  Nor do I know  if
the efficiency was improved.  The driver was very compact and that  may
have made it more difficult to deal with.  Also the type of ferrite  may not
have been optimal for the frequencies and power levels involved.  It  may
have saturated.

I also remember someone else mentioning that they planned to test
an oil emersion classic TC, but I never heard any follow up.

If someone has a small coil especially if it is the type that  has
the gap, xfrmr, capacitor, etc. off to the side separate from the
primary/secondary, then it would be easy for them to measure
the closest tolerable coupling in air, then place the unit into a
plastic oil filled pan, and then try tightening the coupling.
Maybe someone will do that.

John
----

>Hi  John

<Jeff Behary has with his flat coils prior to moving to  impregnating the