Low-powered coil definition (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 09:02:00 -0500
From: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Low-powered coil definition

Ed Wingate - I'm surprised that you haven't chimed in here ;-)
When Ed runs his monster pole pig-powered magnifier (see
http://home1.gte.net/res07cmo/hv/wingate/wingate.htm), he routinely
connects the secondary base to the mains 3rd wire ground in his Tesla
lab, with no ill effects that I'm aware of.  So unless YOU want to tell
Ed that his coil is low powered, I would reject your definition.
Granted, his lab is a structure separate from his house, and I wouldn't
dream of doing the same in my house with a coil powered by anything that
I wouldn't want dropped on my foot.

Gary's "low powered coil" definition:  If you can deliberately drop the
transformer on your foot, it is "low powered".

But in all seriousness, this is one area of coiling that is seriously
lacking any real data.  No one has EVER scoped or measured just what it
is that we suspect and fear would be contaminating our power lines.  I
think most of us have some opinion on this, but no one can defend it
beyond "this is what I do and I've not destroyed anything".

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA