Re: x-rays from TC capacitors?!!!

Original poster: William Beaty <billb@xxxxxxxxxx>

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: Ed Phillips <evp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> >
> >     FWIW, two years ago a TCML member expressed interest in
> > research about the "Color Fades in Discharges":
> >
> ><http://www.pupman.com/listarchives/2004/Dec/msg00154.html>http:// www.pupman.com/listarchives/2004/Dec/msg00154.html
> >

> >     Not sure if the chemistry behind this was ever adequately explained.
> >
> >-Phil LaBudde
>
>      I've observed similar effects to those described here (discharge
> colors start as pink and blue and end up greenish grey) but am
> certain it was due to contamination of the air and not "burning" of
> it.  In my experience, with a clean system the effect he reports
> doesn't happen.

The pressure inside the cell was definitely dropping fast.   Idea: try a
control experiment with a cell with a tiny hole.   Will colors change if
the pressure stays at 1ATM?

William J. Beaty                            SCIENCE HOBBYIST website
billb at amasci com                         http://amasci.com
EE/programmer/sci-exhibits   amateur science, hobby projects, sci fair
Seattle, WA  425-222-5066    unusual phenomena, tesla coils, weird sci