RE: your 833 coil

Original poster: "Cameron B. Prince" <cplists@xxxxxxxxxx>

Wow, 3kV @ 1.2A... That must be a beast... I started out trying both a
Thordarson and a Stancor plate transformer for my coil. They were rated
3,750VAC @ 500mA. Powering the coil for them was a breeze as they didn't
even get warm. I had a difficult time getting them to peak out with my coil
because they pulled so much current. They would easily pop the 20A breaker
in my garage. When I switched to the MOT's, I was able to get better output
without as much current draw.

I did mean 125 kV on the diode, but I made a mistake in the current
capability. It is a 1.5A diode from an x-ray transformer.

Here is a picture of the coil with the Stancor transformer:

http://www.teslauniverse.com/members/cprince/images/vttc/DSC02701.JPG

You can see the diode just to the left of it. It's the large black hockey
puck. The MOT's are installed in place of the Stancor now and in addition to
the lower current draw and better output, they weigh significantly less.

I am sure the plate transformers would have been fine had I not had the
requirement to run on a standard 120V 20A circuit as will your 3kV
transformer.

As for the Teslathon, I certainly appreciate the invitation and I wish I
could make it. I will be returning from Europe that day after visiting the
Tesla museum and Tesla's home.

Thanks,
Cameron