Re: Racing Sparks

Reduce the coeff of coupling and also check your quenching on a scope. These two cause more problems with racing sparks than any other ones combined.

Pri should be 1.5 inches to coilform. Sec should be elevated above pri approx 2-3 inches as base if a coil in the 3-5 inch dia size.

Surface insulation such as polyurethane will not stop HV tracking if the coeff is too high.

Dr. Resonance

I just set up my "Devian" coil.  This coil was
originally designed to be very small and powerful.
the problem is that i cant even power it up 15%
without the sparks racing across the secondaries
surface.  I have 5 coats of poly on it already.  I
also played with to toroid in some failed attempt to
fix the problem.

How can i get sparks to stop racing across the
surface?