Re: Tesla's CS Coil Data from ScanTesla and all....

Hi Malcolm,

At 05:51 PM 6/26/2005, you wrote:
Hi Terry,

On 26 Jun 2005, at 0:22, Tesla list wrote:

I suspect 300-odd kV is a bit on the low side but the original 12MV
claimed for that coil to be totally unrealistic from every point of
view, the least being the distances and clearances etc.  I seem to
remember calculating the output approaching the 1MV mark from what
data I could find but who am I to argue with 100 million transistors?

We are thinking that secondary to third coil coupling is important. The program does not take this into account yet. The third coil driven by just the wire off the secondary does not seem to be able to provide a lot of power to the third coil. However, if the third coil was coupled to the secondary with a K = ~0.05, then things are different... Phasing is also important as Mike suggested... The very fast pulse rise time may also fall out of the streamer load model's area of comfort.

The primary inductance in the data below looks low to me and again,
Rp is rather open to question.

The single turn primary coil is difficult for the program MandK. I think Antonio has a better program for a single turn coil... I scanned it over a very wide range (10 - 30uH) and took the best match...

     How did the program take ground losses into account (if indeed
it did)? I have no doubt that in practice those losses were truly
awful given the large diameter of the primary and its proximity to
the ground.

I set Rp = 1.5 ohms which is very generous. I was trying to help ;-)) But with salt water caps and all, it was probably much worse... I think Tesla's coil was on a sandstone ledge which was probably pretty low loss if it was dry. It has been noted that Bob Golka's coil did far worse in Leadville than in Wendover. The lossy ground in Leadville has been thought to be the cause...

It does not seem like things are right yet with the model. We will see how the other coupling effects help out. I would think if Tesla's coil were "dumping" 40,000+ watts, he would have noticed that something was wrong...

Cheers,

        Terry

Malcolm