Re: Tesla's CS Coil Data from ScanTesla and all....

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Terry,

On 26 Jun 2005, at 0:22, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: Terry Fritz <teslalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Hi All,
>
> I ran the parameters for Tesla's Colorado Springs coil through
> MandK3.1 and E-Tesla6 to get better numbers to feed
> ScanTesla-TRSSTC...
>
> All the horrific details are here:
>
> http://drsstc.com/~terrell/modeling/Teslas-CScoil.ZIP
>
> Losses went way down and the capacitance of his secondary coil went
> way up...  But overall, things did not change much.  The heavy ring in
> the secondary coil went away now.  The secondary coil seems to be able
> to isolate itself from the primary and tertiary tuned circuits to
> ring-on for a long time.  But I doubt if Tesla coil was tuned as well
> as the computer can tune things ;-))
>
> http://hot-streamer.com/temp/TCSCoilVoltages-02.gif
>
> Tesla coil probably never made over 300,000 Volts!!!  The higher BPS
> and short burst time along with 50+++kW input pushed the streamers out
> even though the efficiency was only about 11.6%!!  Talk about throwing
> a few tens of kilowatts at it to make up for that ;-))  Hard to say
> where the LERT was...  Primary inductance is hard to say for one
> turn...  I bet a lot of loss went into the Earth under the
> primary/secondary coil...  The very short burst time would have loved
> high BPS rates...
>
> I bet he pushed the BPS rate "way up" to overcome the coils energy
> losses...  That would have been his perfect path for longer streamer
> given what he had going there...  He had high losses but lots of power
> and a short powerful burst...  His streamer would have increased in
> length as a direct function of BPS until something like the power
> plant blew up :o))  I am thinking his longer streamer must have been
> help by short LERT cases...
>
> Hard to say how "true" any of this is...  But it represents
> "quadrillions" of calculations from the best programs out there this
> night...

I suspect 300-odd kV is a bit on the low side but the original 12MV
claimed for that coil to be totally unrealistic from every point of
view, the least being the distances and clearances etc.  I seem to
remember calculating the output approaching the 1MV mark from what
data I could find but who am I to argue with 100 million transistors?
The primary inductance in the data below looks low to me and again,
Rp is rather open to question.

     How did the program take ground losses into account (if indeed
it did)? I have no doubt that in practice those losses were truly
awful given the large diameter of the primary and its proximity to
the ground.

Malcolm