Re: PVC tube lacquer?

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmdq@xxxxxxxxxx>

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: "Wim Bosma" <wbosma@xxxxxxxxxxx>

At the moment I am drying out the sanded PVC tube in a long, blanketed, carton box with a (burning) 40 Watt TL tube underneath the PVC. As the temperature inside is only 36 degrees Celcius, this drying out may take weeks... Gues I must look for more heat...What if I precoat only the outside, wire the tube and heat it by pushing AC current through the winding?.. Then, after a two days heating I can coat the inside to seal off the PVC... Is this a sound idea?.. (Windings coming loose..) Is all this drying out worth my efforts?.(The TC stays sheltered inside the house).

Bare normal PVC is an excellent insulator, if kept reasonably dry (in a place where the air humidity is below 70%). Precoating is not expected to create any important difference, and the main effect of coating the coil after winding is to protect the windings and hold them in place. Water doesn't get into the material, otherwise PVC water pipes would leak, what they don't. So, it's only advisable to dry the surface of the tube before winding, and before coating with the wire in place. A hair dryer is enough. If some humidity gets trapped between the tube and the windings, it can be trapped as well between a coated surface and the windings.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz