[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: 4 kV powered tesla coil-pics
- To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: 4 kV powered tesla coil-pics
- From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 15:14:02 -0600
- Delivered-to: email@example.com
- Delivered-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Old-return-path: <email@example.com>
- Resent-date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 15:26:52 -0600 (MDT)
- Resent-from: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
- Resent-message-id: <ygEg7C.A.TDF.anZWCB@poodle>
- Resent-sender: tesla-request@xxxxxxxxxx
Original poster: "Steven Steele" <sbsteele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Wow, that's impressive!
I do see one flaw, though. It's not really that important, but it could
work much better if you had a smooth toroid.
The streamers and arcs always want to come off at the furthest point from
the center of the toroid. so each one of those ridges is like a tree in the
feild during an electrical storm. This lowers the capacitance of the toroid
and therefore lowers the possible output voltage, therefore the streamers
are not as long as they could be. It may be hard to find a good toroid but
you can purchase them. I found a sit the other day,but I can't find it now.
I'll keep looking.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, April 09, 2005 2:32 PM
Subject: 4 kV powered tesla coil-pics
Original poster: Liviu Vasiliu <teslina@xxxxxxxxx>
2 MOTs powered tesla coil.....Why not?
There are a few advantages:
-MOTs can be a good replacement for NSTs, sometime
hard to find, even the little 2 kV output MOTs. It
does not need to use 4-6 MOTs, no oil bath, no
doublers, no silicon, no saturated or primary
-with proper current limiting with inductive ballasts
on the low voltage side, they work ok.
-the primary cap is cheaper because the lower voltage
-the spark gap does not need air flow. Just use a
multiple gap (at least 3 gaps, one variable) and big
metal electrodes to get good cooling and quenching.
- use a strike ring to protect the MOTs from
overvolting (arcs to the primary).
The results and construction can be seen here:
For higher power levels just modify the ballasts,
increase the primary cap, the number of gaps and get