Re: Pulse Transformer

Hi all,

On 14 May 2002, at 8:31, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "rheidlebaugh by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rheidlebaugh-at-zialink-dot-com>

> Paul: A basic transformer using a sign wave produces an outpot voltage
> proportional to the turns ratio. What makes the TC differ is the fact that a
> sign wave is not what is used. The power pulse comes from the sudden
> discharge of a capacitor pulsing the primary with max voltage and hundreds
> of amps. This pulse has a basic frequency and multiple odd harmonics
> starting at the ppf frequency (120pps up to 200,000 Hz). The TC transformer
> is designed to pass this wide range of frequencies. The VTTC tends to be of
> one sign wave frequency so its output is by nature limited to the turns
> ratio of the coil. Some build the VTTC to act outside this limit, but most
> do not. I use both the tube TC and the pulse TC for different uses. The tube
> gives me steady controled output voltage I can use to make tests. The pulse
> TC gives me much less control, but much higher max voltage in the 2 Meg volt
> range. This is a trade off for uses. If I push my tube system into class "C"
> I can get higher voltage by not opperating in the sign wave area, but If my
> starting frequency is 200Khz then my harmonics are higher into the range of
> causing interfearance. Another trade off. I hope this helps.
>    Robert  H
>
> > From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> > Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 20:45:37 -0600
> > To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> > Subject: Re: Pulse Transformer
> >
> > Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<Xyme3-at-aol-dot-com>

> >> A transformer optimized for fast, wideband, operation.
> >> (It can be argued that a Tesla transformer IS one,
> >> arguably excepting a VTTC.)

> >> No core, or ferrite core.
> >> Relatively small number of turns (for high/broad freq
> >> response).
> >> Poor efficiency, in power transformer terms.
> >> Can be low power, or high power.
> >> best
> >> dwp
> >

> > Thanks for the explaination. If i construct a coil, i would use a lot of
> > turns.
> > Would VTTC mean varabily timed tesla coil? If this is true, Yes, i
think the
> > the impulses to the coil should be varied, thus createing multiple
> overlapping
> > frequencies.
> > I do not know if i have a clear understanding of the coil, however i
think if
> > the impulses to the coil were altered in frequency several different
> > oscillations would occur in the coil.
> > Paul

Just reading all the things said in this series of posts makes me
wonder whether anyone, apart from myself, has trouble agreeing with a
lot of the concepts expressed here? ?

For example, since when has a TC been a wideband transformer? Since
when did a disruptive TC not ring up with some sinusoidal waveform
while its primary rang down?

Malcolm