Re: Large ferrite cores for SSTC work

Original poster: "Jan Wagner by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jwagner-at-cc.hut.fi>

> 	I'm starting to resume my work on my solid state Tesla coils at
> the moment, and I am looking at getting in some large ferrite
> transformer cores for the main matching transformer. I've spoken
> to a few other people who are also after ferrite cores, so I
> thought I'd see if there is enough interest to organize a bulk
> buy.

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents: the hassle with ferrite cores isn't,
at least IMHO, worth all that trouble of designing, winding and isolating
an array of test-transformers. It requires a stunning amount of xfrm
expertice to get working properly at all, not to metion all the maths you
have to wade through...

You get considerably better TC output with a direct primary drive scheme,
without the ferrite core transformer in between.

Furthermore, the size of the core is quite irrelevant!! The most
important things are it's material characteristics: heating losses vs
frequency, permeability, cross section, power handling capacity.

You must have a look at the core material-specs sheets in order to decide
whether or not a particular core is suitable for your intended frequency
ranges, and whether or not it can handle the desired power without
saturating. Bying "just any ferrite core" may work out ok, but then, it
also might not.

The core - is it 3C85? N27? Other material?

cheers,

 - Jan

--
 high voltage at http://www.hut.fi/~jwagner/tesla